VMWare Player is a free software available from VMWare Inc. enabling the creation
of guest OS within an existing OS
Notes for a beginner …
* VMWare Player and VMWare Server are available for free
* A .vmdk file is the virtual hard drive for the guest OS
* A .nvram file stores the BIOS settings of the virtual machine
* A .vmx file stores the configuration settings for the virtual machine. All you
need is a text editor to edit the VMWare configuration settings.
* A .vmsd file stores information about VMWare snapshots.